Your Goals are to...
Get as much data as possible (avoid attrition and missing data)
- Have an introduction to remind people why it is important
- Start with interesting questions, not demographics
- Put all boring questions, including demographics, as late as possible
- Group related questions, have a logical order
- Word sensitive questions carefully and put at the end when possible
- Always have a question asking for any final comments at the end
Get Good Data
- Ask balanced questions
- Ask questions that people can actually answer, given limitations on memory and knowledge
- "How often..." questions are difficult for non-regular actions, especially if there is no time frame.
- Do a pilot--have a few people complete the survey with you around so they can give feedback on the questions