To find atlases and maps at Mason, use the catalog and search by keyword, type in your search term
- For example: Atlas (or maps) AND "canada (or world)" (a place name)
To find all atlases or the map collection in the libraries, use the catalog and search by Keyword, type in your search terms
- For example: world and atlas, limit to "Map" as medium
Finding Atlases & Maps
- General and thematic atlases may be found in both the reference collection and the stacks at all of the libraries in the range of call numbers, G 1019-G4400. Large reference atlases are located in the Atlas cases in the reference collection area with the call number that begins with G.
- Individual flat topographic maps (all 50 states) and the folded geological map series published by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) and maps from Defense Mapping Agency and Central Intelligence Agency(CIA) are located in the government document unit of Fenwick Library, Wing C, First Floor.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps provide detailed historical site information within cities and towns that are useful for research in history, environmental science, and urban planning. It covers the areas of DC, VA, MD, DE, CO, MT, NM. The digital version is available through the database portal.
- See also GIS Services InfoGuide for additional data and mapping resources.
Search USGS Publications
- Search also USGS digital respository from USGS Warehouse Publication.